Monday, July 28, 2008

To Mr. Oblivious (Again):

Dear Pants Guy,
I'm Getting Over it [you].

I said this would take more than one letter, because even though I get other people wrong 96.8% of the time, I get myself right 98.9% of the time.
I think the reason I'm having such a hard time letting it go, is because I'm so sure that it[we] will never happen.
The logic behind this seemingly twisted statement is simply this: I'm scared to have anything work out. I create these situations of impossibility to protect myself. I've talked before about never falling in love- or even those times when I didn't believe it. I'm so insanely scared to let myself find anything amazing that I do things that I know won't work out, mostly in three predictable scenarios:

Scenario #1
: I date someone I'm not that into.
Scenario #2: I crush on someone that will never return those feelings, OR:
Scenario #3: (the worst, and unfortunately most common scenario) I reciprocate feelings that are genuine and proceed to completely back off before the situation turns into something real.
I think the clinical term for it is: Commitment Phob. [clearly not a clinical term...]

I guess that's where you come in: You're Scenario #2. Run-of-the-mill unrequited love (or something similar) Only, you don't know about it... God, that's creepier when you put it into words.
The only problem with you, is that I know I could get over this- I think we'd even be great as friends, but there is a buffer time period- when the interest has to go away, and I can properly transfer that interest onto the next poor soul and then we can be friends. Only, you keep on interrupting that buffer period.
I'm not socially handicapped. I know when someone doesn't return your feelings, you get over it-- move on, and I honestly have no intentions of being "That sketch girl that's been stalking you forever". The only problem is that I was confused in the beginning-- I thought you were maybe a little bit interested; if I was mistaken, I wish that you could have given me a hint- instead of just dropping off the face of the earth. A reason would have been nice, too; but I do know that that's maybe asking a bit too much. While I'm being honest, I'm glad that you even talked to me- because you're a great guy. But I guess we don't know each other well enough, because I don't understand your actions. Maybe you want to just be friends, and you think I'll get too attached or get the wrong idea. I guess you just don't know me- because, as history often repeats itself, I would most likely: be a little attached at first, never do anything about it, and then move on healthily in my normal fashion. Here's where we bring it back to the interrupted part: My personality is such that if you present me with a challenge, I'll do everything I can to hit the bar, win the race, etc. You did this- not intentionally, I hope, but you did. I think that it's one of those "want what you can't have challenges" now.
It's safe though- I can't get hurt. All because I honestly believe it would never work out... my heart is truly in a stainless steel cage... With this guy as it's own personal body guard.

I wonder if that would make you feel any better about talking to me. I could ask you the next time you break my buffer period, but chances are you wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about. In fact, I'm 73.4% sure that I don't know what I'm talking about. I guess I just need to get this out, because I don't need to actually send you this letter- I don't even need you to know it exists. In fact, I would honestly die if you did know about it-- then I really would look like "The creeper who is secretly obsessed with you". I'm not. I just have a system- an internal pattern that makes me act like a complete idiot. Please, make this easy on me: Stop breaking the pattern. It works 100% of the time. Although, that would mean I'm lousy at math...

Peace, Love, and All That Other Jazz-- Sign Me,
Actually getting over it- albeit not fast enough...

No comments: