Wednesday, July 9, 2008

To Mr. Head-Over-Heels:

Dear Pants Guy,
You really liked me. In fact you really, really liked me. The next week- you loved me.

I liked you too... before you broke out the "L" word. I was so gun-shy even then that I absolutely took off at a sprint.
I wanted to apologize for that. It's only now that I realize you probably didn't even know what that meant to me- the magnitude of the phrase- and when you say that to someone that you "really, really like" you've got to know what that stands for.I've never been in Love- I can say that only because I've never felt something so strong that it almost knocks me over; something that drives you to do something greater than yourself. I imagine that it's most like jumping off of a cliff- and loving every minute of it.
There are a lot of people that I love- my Family topping the charts on that one, but I also believe that "Love ya" is so different than "I love you" and that context and circumstances also add to that.

You probably thought that's what you were supposed to say- and I crucified you for that (well, not literally). It means a lot to me that you could truly have liked that much about me, as a person, to know that you were in love with me. It says a lot about you as a person, as well. I'm sorry that I didn't respect that. The guts that it took are also something that I didn't even think about... shows how "kind and understanding" I am- though it was sweet of you to insist upon it.

In the end, I broke your heart. At least that's what some people said. I would like to believe that it just hurt for a while. With one more apology- I'd like to say that I'm sorry for never seeing what you saw; the possibility of love, that understanding and comfort that could have developed into something great. I don't know that much about love- I don't even know if it happens at once or over a long period of time, but thank you for believing in it- in me, and that possibility, even if I didn't. Maybe we could have been wonderful together- I'll never know. What I do know, is that you will find that eventually- that real, cliff-diving kind of feeling that makes you crazy. I know this because you almost did, and I want to thank you for Loving me- even if I couldn't believe it.

So here's to the future Mrs. Head-Over-Heels... May Love truly be yours forever.

Peace, Love, and All that Other Jazz- sign me,
Apologetic and cringing because of it.

No comments: