Thursday, July 24, 2008

To Mr. BFF:

Dear Pants Guy,
For once, I won't say sorry. Instead I get to say "Thank you."

Some people say that Guys and Girls just can't be friends. I would disagree wholeheartedly if my experience had proved it wrong. It hadn't...Until you, that is. You are truly an amazing friend- Not to mention, a guy. I would count you among the best, in fact.

I suppose to have any successful friendship, there must be some sort of chemistry- which is generally why it's confusing to be "just friends." Meeting under the right circumstances must be important? What makes friendship between a guy and a girl possible?
I'm going to go ahead and say maturity. It's true that if you meet while unavailable, that may help- but there are so many romantic relationships that have started under those circumstances. I think that it must be the fact that people are people, and once you can look past a person's sex, you can really begin to get to know them.
I think that we became friends under circumstances pretty similar to those above. You understand completely that you don't have to feel the need to be with every girl you meet. Even if some friendships do eventually turn into something more, maybe even something wonderful- they don't have to. They can be just that; simply a friendship. You understand that I can be genuine with you, and you don't immediately assume that means I am interested in you.

You're my advice guy. I can rely on you for the truth. Even if it smarts a little. Even if it's completely obvious to everyone but me. You're the other side, and I need that. Thank you for always being able to say to me, "Um, no. You're wrong."
Thank you for the compliments, they make me feel great, because I know they're not just sugary sweet, or fake.
I love that you take care of one of the most important people in my life. Maybe that's why we're such good friends (Not because of your own merit, of course!). You don't know how much that means to me. I respect you, and I hope that you know you can always ask me for help, advice, or space. I can give you any of them, and am completely willing to. (She's kind of an area of expertise). You're totally honest with me about it too. I like that we can trust each other enough to talk about it.
That's one of my favorite parts about our friendship- that I can talk to you.

I wanted to let you know that you are important to me, regardless. I hope that we will always be friends, and I think that we are mature enough to realize that, no matter what happens. I love that you're so straightforward about it. I'm so glad that you recognize that I'm a person, and that there are certain ways to treat a person.
We all have so much fun together, and I'm glad that you can take a good-humored jab or two. Laughing is so important in a friendship, and we can laugh- I love that.

I guess what I'm saying is "Thank you." You've made me believe that there are great guys out there. I think the only other thing left to say is that, although you know where my loyalties lie, you need to know that you are important to me as well, and I don't intend to make light of that.
So for the millionth time... Thanks.

Peace, Love, and All That Other Jazz- Sign Me,
Glad that we've finally grown up (mostly.)

No comments: